TESL Canada Certification – 250-hour TESOL Diploma
TESL Canada accreditation is required by most language schools in Canada and it is highly recognized worldwide. The 250-hour TESOL Diploma program is recognized by TESL Canada for their Professional Standard 2 certification on completion of a separate 20-hour Practicum. Study online and take the Practicum anywhere in the world!
Upon successful completion of all exams, tasks, and assignments, you will receive a 250-hour TESOL Diploma awarded by Coventry House International-OnTESOL. Candidates interested in applying for TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification must complete a separate 20-hour practicum module.
TESL Canada Accreditation Requirements
- Minimum age: 21
- University degree: Students without a university degree can still enroll in the 250-hour program and receive the 250-hour TESOL Diploma awarded by Coventry House International-Ontesol upon successful completion of the program, but they are informed that they need to complete an undergraduate degree from Canada or its equivalency before applying for TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification. Candidates who completed their degree outside Canada can enrol in the 250-hour TESOL Diploma, but they are informed that they must obtain the Canadian equivalency document before applying for TESL Canada accreditation.
- Candidates must have an awareness of spoken language and competence in English, both written and spoken that enables them to follow the course.
- Non-native speakers who have not completed a university degree in an English speaking country must have a valid English Proficiency Score such as TOEFL score of 550 (213 with computer -based exam; 80 with Internet –based exam), UCLES Certificate in Advanced English or IELTS minimum band 6.5 when applying for TESL Canada certification.
- A 20-hour practicum MUST be completed to be eligible for TESL Canada accreditation.
– Online / mobile / printable course material
– Professional tutor support
– Video lectures
– Task-integrated videos
– Internationally recognized 250-hour TESOL Diploma and transcript mailed to any location in the world
– Access to job board, list of schools and recruiters
The 250-hour TESOL Diploma program was designed for trainees who need to take a TESOL certification course at their own pace in order to meet other work or study commitments. The minimum time necessary to complete this course is 2 months. The maximum time given to complete this course is 8 months.
250-hour TESOL Course Syllabus
After completing this module, you will understand complex grammar structures and be able to:
- Identify common students’ mistakes.
- Answer students’ grammar questions.
- Produce effective grammar lesson plans at different levels in the methodology module.
This module will take you through all the stages of planning and delivering effective ESL lessons. It will provide you with the ability to:
- Evaluate and use the Communicative Language Teaching method (Communicative Approach, Integrated Skills, and Task-based Learning) for teaching grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and language skills lessons.
- Use different lesson planning models (PPP, ESA, TTT, and TBL) for different ESL levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, etc.).
- Supplement the ESL textbook with authentic material in order to improve the school’s curriculum and meet your students’ needs more effectively.
- Reflect on different testing and assessment strategies.
Gain an in-depth understanding of phonological features (articulation of sounds, linking sounds, intonation, assimilation, elision, etc.) to be able to identify students’ pronunciation problems and use various techniques to correct students’ oral mistakes.
- New ESL teachers: Get the best level of training you can get from the very beginning! A TESL Canada Standard 2 program provides much more training than a 4-week course (TESL Canada Standard 1, CELTA, or Trinity CertTESOL).
- Experienced ESL teachers: Upgrade your credentials and pursue greater career opportunities! Study online and save on the Practicum fee by completing it at the school you work at.
- Experienced Canadian teachers returning from teaching abroad: Get the credentials you need to teach English in Canada. You can start the program online and finish while you fulfill your contract abroad. You may also complete the Practicum abroad if the supervising teacher and classes meet the requirements.
- Canadian ESL teachers going abroad: Get the training and credentials you need to teach English in Canada and abroad. Go abroad with a 250-hour TESOL Diploma and complete the Practicum when you want TESL Canada accreditation! There isn’t a deadline to complete the Practicum, so you can take it before leaving, while teaching abroad, or after returning home.
- Open to international teachers: The TESOL Diploma program and TESL Canada accreditation are open to native speakers from Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Non-native speakers who have a high level of English language proficiency may also apply.
Free Teaching Resources
Below you will find video tutorials on Communicative Language Teaching, using authentic material, teaching integrated skills, and teaching grammar.
Find more teaching resources: